RSS Feed

Outdoor School: Class of 2015

83

October 9, 2013 by Mrs. Spiegelman

I hope these photos bring back some happy memories!

If you’re in seventh grade, write a high-quality blog comment about a memory you have from the trip!

If you’re in 6th grade, write a high-quality comment about anything having to do with Outdoor School. What do you hope will happen? What are you excited about? What are you worried about?

83 comments »

1. Matthew Rives says:

I hope that i will be in an awesome cabin with some of my friends.Im really excited about going on the old man murphy hike, the waterfall hike, and the 9 mile hike.Im just really worried about making new friends but when I came to this schoolI made lots of friends so I propably will make friends.I hope you have enjoyed this comment.

2. Christian says:

All I have to say is that I am excited about Outdoor School. The thing I am excited about is going on the 9-Mile, going on the Waterfall Hike, sleeping in cabins with some with my friends (maybe), and eating the food. I am worried that I will accedentally touch Poison Oak, get a bad cabin, and get lost on hikes.

• alexis says:

Since I am a new student and this is my first year at this school , It’s my first time hearing about this 4 day field trip at an outdoor school , but I am very excited to go on this trip.I’m kind of worried that i might get mosquito bites or get eaten by big foot, or most likely a bear. I heard from a couple 7th graders that went on the trip that theres a waterfall hike and one activity the 7th graders did there was , sit in the freezing cold water for 25 seconds, I’m really excited for the waterfall because I love waterfalls , and I like cold water.

I kind of have the experience to be away for 4 days ,because of my previous 5th grade class . Last year I went to Washington D.C for a week and a half without any technology. It was amazing adventure.We took a plane there and wherever we went we took the bus , Well thats kind of different from outdoor school cause you either half to walk, hike,or run to the place you want to go, but the reason why we took the bus was because were ever we went was an hour or three drive . We visited a lot of memorials from presidents and special people that made a stand like Martin Luther King and Rosa parks , we took a lot of pictures. When I first heard about Washington D.C I was kind of scared that i was going to be away from my family for a week and a half but on the second day I was having so much fun on the trip that I stopped worrying about them and then I focused on the trip more , but I still missed them,and now when I go to outdoor school I want to feel the same way . I’m sure I’m going to have a blast on the trip from what I’ve heard about it .😃😄😀😜😊☺😉😍😚😗Excuse my happy faces.

• alexis says:

Just stay with your friends and counselors and you’ll be safe.

3. Jason says:

I think it is really cool I really wan’t to go soon can’t wait to go.

• alexis says:

Answer all the questions please , Jason did Ms.Spielgelman send you the email.

• Mrs. Spiegelman says:

Alexis, this is exactly how a true scholar behaves! I love how you’re working to remind others about our guidelines for commenting in a kind way!

4. Ava says:

Wow! Outdoor School looks amazing! I’m really looking forward to that Waterfall Hike i’ve heard about! And that view from the 9-mile hike looks amazing! I really hope to make new friends. I’ m also sort of nervous about the Night Hike. I herd you can’t use flashlights.

5. Karen Aubuchon says:

I am hopeing that i get to go and have the be time ever and that i hve a grea time and i hope that everyone has a great time.

6. Miles says:

I hope I get a good cabin.I’m excited about going on the hikes and taking amazing pictures.I’m worried about a bear coming out of the bushes and eating me.

7. Jack Forbes says:

I can not wait to go to out door school,meet new friend and be more intouch with nature. also I think it is awsome to learn more of my classmates.

8. Osa Omozore says:

I am now extremely excited to go to outdoor school! 😛😋

• Osa Omozore says:

I now really want to see what activities they have meet new people enter all the activities and hike espically Old Man Murphy and suprisingly want to have the counslor named Grizzly. If only september came sooner because I really want to go to Outdoor School.😊

9. Lily Rivas says:

I hope I’m in a great cabin with a great counselor. I looking forward to all the hikes and activities we will get to go on. The seventh graders came in today and told us how fun it was. I’m only worried about the cold they say it was so cold at night, and I’m worried about the three minute showers we have to take.

10. Chris.M says:

Since I have seen these photos these gave me a picture of what the trip will look like and me and the whole class are going to have a lot of fun and I am excited about going on this trip.

11. Caiya says:

Things I hope that are in Outdoor School are marshmallows, horseback riding, and I wish there is fishing. Even though its gross, I think poke-the-poop-with-the-stick seems cool. I want to go boating, hot air ballooning, and waterfall hike. I am worried but excited to think that there might be a snake in the cabin. I hope, that when we get there,it won’t rain, and I want to appreciate nature more by staying in it. I am going to be a member of the Extreme Polar Bear Club! I wish I can be there now!

12. Simone says:

I am excited about all the fun Hikes that Ms. Spiegelman and the 7th graders have told me about.
    I am very worried that I will get itchy from Poisen Oak , get Home Sick , and Suffer the Loss from Electronics.
    I hope that i will see wild life, Take amazing pictures, and Have Fun.
    I Can’t Wait until the Outdoor School

• alexis says:

I have to agree about the poison oak all I have to say is either ware a long sleeve or a jacket .😀😜

• Simone says:

Yes I will wear long sleve shirts but, my parents will probally make sure i bring what i need and More.
        I will not need to worry about it but, those are my conserns. I hope that everything will be ok.

13. Serene Godina says:

I am hoping to have a great time at Outdoor School. I am excited to go on the hikes and meet new people and make new friends. But I am also worried to run into any wild animals, and I don’t want to get sick before or during this trip either because then it will make me sad and it will ruin the whole experience for me. I still think it will turn out good and really fun.

• alexis says:

I’m scared to run in to wild animals two the best thing I would is stay with my group.😁😅😋😎😯👧🌟💫

14. Becca says:

All i’m saying is I can’t wait to go!!!

15. Gaby G. says:

I am excited for the hikes and the activities. I feel like we will have a ton of fun!!! I just don’t wanna be stung by bees because I hate them. I just am so excited for November!!!

16. Khedhar Quintero says:

I’m really excited about going to outdoor school I hear its really fun and if you have to go to the bathroom u have to say I need to chase a coyote or I need to chase a bear we all know I’m gonna say one of those and I’m hoping instead of taking a bear I say I need to take a coyote. I’m excited about the waterfall hike because I want to be in theI extreme polar bear club. The point it I’m really looking forward to out door school.

17. Alana Gregorio says:

I am looking forward to Outdoor School! I’m excited about all of the hikes and what cabin I’m getting. I hope I get a cabin with a good counselor and with one my friends. Listening to all of the good stuff from the seventh graders, I’m not worried about much. I’m SO excited!

18. Nick says:

I hope I have a cabin with my friends and a councler who does not snore, I am very excited to meet new people and go on hikes and go in freezing cold water. I am very scared of seing spiders, lizards and especially snakes! I really hope I make new friends.

19. Christopher o says:

I am excited all around I am not worried about anything! I am want to see scary stuff in the forest because who wouldn’t like a good freight once in a while!

20. Jesse says:

I agree that im also excited. For the 4 day field trip I think that Im may have some trouble. Maybe I will meet new friends. Which something are fun like you have to say I got to go chance a coyote only to go to the bathroom.

21. Matthew Rives says:

I hope I’m in a cabin with some of my friends. Im really excited about the old man murphy hike, the waterfall hike, and the 9 mile hike.Im worried about making friends but when I came to this school i made lots of friends.Hope you liked this comment.

22. Randy says:

I hope there will be good campfire stories. I will I hope I will meet new friends and have a good time. I am excited about the activities and that we have no homework for 4 days! I am worried about that I will get poison oak.

23. Karen Aubuchon says:

I am so excited I can’t wait to go!

24. Brian Robinson says:

I am excited about going to the out door school because i want to explore different things on the walk.
    I hope i do not have to use the restroom when i go on the hike. What i’m excited about is there food and how i’m going to take some good mountain view pictures. What i’m scared is when i go to the bathroom i’m scared that slender man will haunt me.

25. Griffin J. says:

I hope I’m in the worst cabin with a lot of snorers, why? Because I want to have an even better taste of the great outdoors. I think this is going to be the best field trip ever! I’m so happy were going on this trip. I’m really looking forward to the, what was it? Five? Nine mile hike? Anyway I really am excited. I’M SO NERVOUS!!!

26. Bahar says:

Wow!! It looks amazing!! I can’t wait to go there and have fun with my new friends. It should be the best and first outdoor school with my friends. I LOVE hiking and, I love to sleep in a cabin with my new friends.
    I’m so excited for November!!!

27. Kaiab says:

One of my favorite memories from outdoor school is when I went on the old man Murphy hike. I defiantly think if your in 6th grade you should go on that hike. I think outdoor school brought our class a lot closer and there are so many fun memories, but the old man Murphy hike was my favorite.

28. Giselle U says:

One memory I have from Outdoor School is that I remember meeting new people people from different schools in my cabin and some old friends from my old school. It was so good to see them again I remembered them and they remembered me. One funny thing was that when we ate I sat in a table with kids from OLG and 1 kid was from a different school.

29. mackenzied6 says:

I was looking at the pictures and it looks like they had a great time. At outdoor school I hope that we will have lots of fun and see animals in their natural habitat. I’m excited to see what it is there and to camp with my friends and to meet other people and to sleep in cabins.

30. connorga7 says:

One thing about outdoor school is that I passed out with Joey on top of a mountain. Have fun at Outdoor school.

31. andrewg7 says:

I remember when I want on the animal hike and there were 2 Andrews. We tried to figured out a way to tell who is who. The naturalist said,” we should call Andrew (me) rock star Andrew and the other one fox Andrew.” Matthew T. said,” we should call the Andrew (not me) red Andrew and the other Andrew (me) black Andrew.” Then we all laughed.

32. giselleu7 says:

One memory I have from Outdoor School is that I got to be with 2 of my friends in my cabin and I saw my old friends from my old school. And I met a lot of new friends, in my table group Joey, Gavin, Jacob, Eva, and Kelsey were at my table and one kid was from a different school. So yeah.

33. citlalyq7 says:

One of my favorite memories from Outdoor school is when I went on the Old Man Murphy hike. I think Outdoor school is a great bonding experience. Once you return from Outdoor school you feel how close you have gotten to people you maybe thought you would never be friends with. I think 6th grade is going to have an awesome time at Outdoor school!

34. jasminech7 says:

A memory I have from Outdoor School is the memory of the desserts. The desserts were delicious! They ranged from crunchy choclate cookies to smooth, creamy spoons of pudding. I remember being excited after dinner to see what type of tasty treats we would be getting. They are all sweet and delicious in many different ways. I hope all you 6th graders will agree with me when you taste the desserts at Outdoor School!

35. jessicam7 says:

I have a memory that makes me smile everytime I think about it. I was on a hike in a group with Gavin and I was tired. I thought it was a super long hike(although the nine mile was waaaaay longer) and then we came across the house of the natrualist guiding us: Peregrine. Her horse was named Obi-wan and her hrose trailer is painted like a TARDIS. It made me smile to know she liked the same things me and Gavin like. It makes me happy to know that there are open friends outside of school too.

36. gavinb7 says:

I remember going on the Chumash hike on the last day. It was so much fun because your hiking group gets to act like we where actually the Chumash tribe, and when we actually where passing through other Chumash territory, one of the counselors and I had to do a silly rain dance to get through. It was really fun.

37. presleys7 says:

My favorite memory in out door school is meeting new faces and being friends with them. Also, I loved the night hikes because I love the dark and it made me kind of face my fear being alone in the dark. When I first went to out door school I knew it would be awesome because being out doors is so much fun it makes me close to nature. I had no bad memories there, everyone was super kind, funny ,and generous. Even though I didn’t hang out with my class that much I got to see other people, and now I’m still in contact with all of them

38. Citlaly Q says:

One of my favorite memories from Outdoor school is when I went on the Old Man Murphy hike. I think Outdoor school is a great bonding expirience. When you return from Outdoor school you will feel how much closer you are to your friends. I think the 6th grade will really enjoy this expirience!

39. matthewv7 says:

One of my favorite memory I. Outdoor school was when I did the nine mike hike. I really liked the hike because it was a very fun experience.

40. isabell7 says:

Outdoor school was so much fun! One memory that I have was when Natalie G and I went on the mystery hike. It was our activity night hike. We had to get a partner and find our way back with no flashlights. When we took our first five steps we went the wrong way. So we turned around and started walking again after a couple minutes I tripped over a rock and so did Natalie. We kept tripping and tripping. After that part was over I stood up and my hair got caught in a branch. After I got it out we were almost at te end of our hike. When we finally reached it we were laughing so hard because we new that this would be a funny memory.

41. nataliem7 says:

you’re in seventh grade, write a high-quality blog comment about a memory you have from the trip!

I remember going on a courage walk and at first that was terrifying! But it’s mandatory so there is no way out. When we were about to start I was literally shaking the whole time but then after all it was only like 20 steps which wasn’t that bad and after I was done I was so mad because I have been thinking about how scary it would be walking in the dark by ourself. Then after everyone was done we saw a big galaxy of stars it was amazing because we got to see them really close up, since we were in the mountains. Finally at the end of everything we got a special surprise! I will never forget it.

42. kelseye7 says:

I remember that trip like it was last year! ……which it was. I remember meeting all good new friends and getting to know my school friends better. One of my most greatest memory was the old man merffy hike but I can’t tell you about it. So my next one is canoeing. I remember going in a canoe in a very algaed pond with Matthew T. ,Jasmine, Jessica and Gavin. We we’re doing ok but then Gavin wanted to get out on the mini island and when we tried backing out we got stuck because of Gavin, then on the count of 5 we had a water fight and Jessica started screaming cause it was cold. So we all but it down her back and you couldn’t hear her screaming any more cause we were laughing to loud! And then we all attacked Matt T., then Gavin, then jasmine…….,and them me!! If you do go canoeing make sure you bring a bathing suit even if your going in the winter and they tell you not to do it any way it helps for 3 min. Showers too. Man have I learned my lesson!

43. joeyk7 says:

I remember the nine mile hike, that is a story to go down in history. I was sooooooooooooooo tired at just 1/4 of the hike and when we all got to the top, you don’t even want to know. When we did get to the top, I fell asleep on my backpack. Since we all got an apple (or a banana) and we all ate the god-filled fruits we got at the beginning of the hike and saw the most beautiful view at the top. I am the guy that is passed out in the photos at the top of the page.

44. cruzn7 says:

I rember when I was on the night hike with jack a d Jacob and we were a good deal ahead of he other groups and som,body had for gotten their gloves so being a kind hatred fellow I allowed the person to borrow the gloves for the rest of the hike a grave mistake on my part and as my dad says never give a sucker a brake. So when I said in my mind enough was when we were by bone hill a pretty steep hill with the bones of prehistoric fish ingrained in the dirt of the hill which made natural stepping stones up to the top and we laid to the foot of the hill looking up into the starry night sky and as I lay there staring up I noticed my hand started to get cold and the cooling sensation grew with every minute until I said enough but remembering to never riced an offer especially if the person did not refuse put me back into a null sense of constant waiting for the hike to come to a close and for us to get up and start moving to get blood circulating as most parts of my legs were about to fall asleep. Eventually we came to a part of the hike were we were forced to separate for a short time all I could think was getting my gloves back and the thought was so loud in my head that it eclipsed eve the most basic of sounds the chaperones voice and the sounds of bugs and other things things hat lurk in he distance but as all things end this less fortunate but ever valuable lesson or venture what ever you wish to call It ended as well as the seemingly interminable ice age that occurred on and in my hand ceased and that was one of the most vivid details in my mind about the endeavor know as out door school.

45. hankf7 says:

My favorite memory at outdoor school is finishing the nine mile hike. It was a feeling of accomplishment and thankfulness. And the apple that we got at the end was the best thing I’ve ever eaten.

46. Jacob Rodriguez says:

One really great memory from Outdoor School was the awesome cabin I was in. The cabin was called Jalama. Our cabin leader was really cool, and so were the other people in it. I still talk to some of the people that were in that cabin. Everyone in Jalama had a really good time.

47. cruzn7 says:

Sorry I meant to put and his is a really weird I pad.

48. natalieg7 says:

A memory that I remember from Outdoor School is when I went on the mystery hike with Isabel, Eva, and Natalie M. At first, I thought that it was going to be boring because it was the only hike left but, it turned out to be the best hike that I went on at Outdoor School. It was fun because our nature leaders made it fun by, telling us creepy stories and doing cool activities. But, the best part of the hike was when we did the courage walk with no flashlight. At first, I was scared out of my mind because the road was rocky, it was night time, and there were a bunch of branches everywhere. But, then when I heard that we could do it with a partner, I felt relieved. After, they explained what you had to do, everyone got a partner and went in line. My partner was Isabel and we were the second to last in line. Then, we waited and waited for our turn. Finally, it was our turn I was so scared that my heart was beating like crazy. Right when we walked on the path we both fell because there were so many rocks. We kept on falling and falling and laughing. When we were in the middle of the walk we felt that we were lost because it took forever! But, then we saw a bunch of glow in the dark sparks on the ground leading the rest of the way out. We felt so relieved when we found everybody. It took us a while to get out but, at the end it was worth it because we had so much fun.

49. jasong7 says:

Yes outdoor school this was better then I thought I remember being on top of the mountain seeing the the blue water and the little radio place up some where nearby the wind the sight was near perfect add on the near silent sound, Joey on the floor, and the snacks it felt nice. The way down was Easyer then the way up, then sunddly someone sprang a ankle two of her friend help her down the mountain such friendship seam rare but very common, after awhile a car came took her bak to the camp we keep moving it was getting dark but we kept moving we past a camp fast asleep to come to a two way path the leaders thought hhhhmmm. We took the left path to see a little hill we climed the hill to find the camp light we out of energy randomly came in to some new found energy we blasted to the mess hall. I felt like I ate like a pig, but those ribs were good. And that’s my feeling on the 9 mile

• I love how you painted a picture with your words! I felt like I was right back there. You’re right-we did get to see so many instances of great friendship that week! I thought we had chicken-I don’t remember ribs. Then again, by the time we made it home my hunger was gone and I just wanted to take a nap!

50. clarissaf7 says:

I don’t know where to start! I have so many great memories from the trip, but this one is my favorite. We were coming back from the nine mile (which is definitely worth the pain) and I don’t know what happened but all of a sudden I got so hyper. I was with Christina, Savanah, and this really nice girl I met, Antonia, but I call her Tony. I don’t know why but I was going up to random people and giving them high-fives, I’ve never laughed so hard in my life. But I wasn’t finished yet, when we stopped (I don’t remember why) everybody was quiet and for no reason I get on this rock and shout “Simmer down everybody, simmer down!” And then everyone turned to look at me (awkward). Savanah then pulled me off the rock, I could tell she was so embarrassed. She told everybody she didn’t know me! Then one of the men in charge came up to me and told me to calm down. The whole way back I laughed and laughed and laughed. Best time in my life!

51. jonathand7 says:

I remember the time when we had the 9 mile hike. It was really hard because we walked forever . When we got to the top, I had the most tastiest banana in the world. When we were done with the hike I was really tired and my legs hurt a lot,but it was good exercise.

52. evar7 says:

I love the outdoor school! It is full of new adventures and fun experiences. I had so many fun memories there, but my all time favorite was when I went on the mystery hike. We had to have partners, so I chose Natalie M. and we had to make our own way back to the other side of the hike through a mystery trail without using a flashlight. The best part of the hike was that you have to test your skills by using all of your senses besides your sight. Good luck!

53. Roslyn says:

I am really excited to go to out door school! I remember going last year and how fun it was I am looking forward to going on a whole bunch if un hikes with all of my friends!

54. savanahs7 says:

This is a very hard question for me because I can’t think of the best memory to share. The whole trip was full of memories, ones that I will never forget. But, there is one that I admire everyday.

We (Clarissa, Christina and 53 other kids i got to meet) were on our way to the top of the mountain for the nine mile hike and I just wanted to wish for spider-man to carry me to the top, but I knew it wasn’t gonna happen. We were all so exhausted and I felt like this was going on for days and days. But then I heard a scream, a scream of happiness, I knew we were finally at the top. I was so happy I was speechless. the View was amazing. On the right side of the mountain was the Santa Barbra Ocean and on the left was the Chumash Lake. I felt so proud of myself and I realized it was worth it, all the walking and climbing. I had my friend Karina take a picture of me in front of the view. Then we all got apples to eat. I was in love with that apple. It was the best apple I ever ate. I was in heaven, the apple, the view, it was un real. Then after a while we were on our way back down. This was the time I bonded with a lot of my friends and met so many other ones (Karina, Antonia a.k.a Tony, Kyle, Kevin, Tommy, Bethany, and about 20 more). I remember we Stopped to learn this really cool song that I will never forget. Clarissa was getting so hyper it was as if the apple she ate was poisoned. When we finished learning the song it was loud, Clarissa stepped on this big rock and shouted “settle down everybody, settle Down ” I pulled her off the rock and everybody was looking at us. I was so embarrassed I told people I didn’t know her to show her she’s embarrassing. It was so much fun walking back to the cabins, I miss that so much. Hopefully someone will get to experience the same thing as I did.

• savanahs7 says:

Oh ,and I also remember that When we got to the top on the mountain Joey fell asleep. Haha . Man, I wish I could go back. This was definitely one of my favorite hikes!

55. mikailad6 says:

I can’t wait to go it looks like so much fun!!! I hope we all will enjoy it.

56. Ruby says:

Well i hope i see a deer for the first time. I’m excited about being with my friends. i’m worried about spiders ,but I know i will over come that fear.