RSS Feed

Outdoor School: Day 1

6

November 5, 2013 by Mrs. Spiegelman

The first day was a huge success! I thought about telling you why myself, but then realized it would be more exciting to hear it in the words of some of the students!

Jack: I like it here because we’re learning how to take care of ourselves in different aspects: the environment and how to get along with friends. My favorite part so far has been meeting new people and making new friends.
Roslyn: My favorite part was the fossil hike. I liked when we got to the top of the mountain. It was a really pretty view. We learned about plate tectonics and used Oreos to understand it.
Nick: The first hike was my favorite because I learned a lot about plants. We made tea using the plants. I learned about a lot of the plant names and how they can be used medicinally. And I made new friends on that hike!
Bahar: I loved hiking. My favorite part was when we studied the rocks and fossils.
Jason: My favorite part so far is the food because it’s good.
Simone: My favorite part was going on the hike because we clime up a steep hill, and I was proud of myself. The naturalists used Oreos to help us learn about subduction (when two oceanic plates collide and the older one goes under the younger one).
Khedhar: My favorite part was hiking and learning about plants. I liked learning how they can make medicine from the plants.
Jesse: I love the hikes. I like to stay healthy and build up muscles. Hanging with my friends and getting to know them better has been really fun.
Brian: I love hiking. The naturalists taught me that the energy that’s all around us comes from the sun and the trees. I learned new stuff today, and it makes me feel smarter.
Caiya: I’m having so much fun! Everyone’s right-the food IS amazing! I love all of the activities. I already have seven stars!
Zion: I love the food. It’s like Thanksgiving dinner! The hike was my favorite because I learned a lot about plants.
Alemany Cabin Leader: Jack is so polite! The first thing he did was go up to everyone at his lunch table, introduce himself, and say, “How are you?” The students from your school are really polite!
I hope that it warms your heart to hear the students are learning and enjoying themselves! Everyone’s tucked away in their cabins, exhausted from all of the activity and excited for an exciting day tomorrow.
Parents, what do you think about their first day? We’d love to read your comments below! Check back tomorrow for more news!

6 comments »

1. David K. says:

The kids sound like they are having the time of their lives! I really miss Ruby Girl but I know she will enjoy herself and this will be a great experience for her. The food, the activities, the other schools sounds like the perfect combination for fun learning and meeting new people!

2. Lyn P. says:

Thank you for taking such good care of our OLG children. It sounds like they are having an amazing time. I am so thrilled that Jack is learning to love the out doors and learning about the natural works. I am so excited to hear about this adventure when Jack comes home.

Best

Lyn P.

3. ltunberg says:

Thank you for sharing! It sounds like the kids are having an amazing time. Love to my Ruby Girl xox Miss her!

4. Jennifer L. says:

So glad the 6th grade is having soooo much fun on their trip! Can’t wait to hear all about their adventures when they return. Miss you Becca! Thank You Mrs. Spiegelman!!

5. Jennifer L. says:

Glad everyone is having fun and learning so much. Thanks for sharing your new adventures with us.
    Thanks Mrs. S.
    Jennifer L.

6. randyc6 says:

I really injoyed Outdoor School it was fun! But the food, activities, hikes, naturalists, and the cabin leaders were all very great. And the word for poop: SCAT and there is a song to go with it: It starts with an S and it ends with a T… and more there is more to the song and it is very funny! The food there is very good, the activities are very fun too! But the most important thing is that we had fun and learned at the same time. It was very cool! And my favorite activity is the Mud Masters which is trowing mud (which was clay) at our statues that we built.