RSS Feed

Journaling

34

November 25, 2013 by Mrs. Spiegelman

What are the most interesting things you included in your journal? Respond in a well-written paragraph.

34 comments »

1. matthewr6 says:

I think the night hike was the best hike because I learned so much and It was exciting.We learned so much about nocturnal animals which only come out at night.We also learned a lot about our rods in our eyes which help you see in the dark.I think it was a great experience and a little scary.Especially the courage walk, that was scary.The courage walk is when you walk to the counselor in the dark so you can be brave. I hope I can go back to outdoor school as a parent or teacher

2. Christian says:

Constellations are really cool because you get to see what shapes they make. Constellations are stars that make up any shape. You can use a telescope to spot constellations. You can also make a constellation if you want to. Constellations are really cool because they can make a shape that you have never seen before. Constellations are also cool because sometimes, you can use them like a map. For example, pretend that the Big Dipper faces north. So you can use that and many other constellations to know where you’re going. You can learn about constellations on the Night Hike at Outdoor School.

3. Alana Gregorio says:

The night hike was fun and interesting. Constellations were helpful to lost travelers and people at sea. People made shapes and objects with stars and made their own stories about them. At first, I was scared of hiking in the dark. But as we started hiking, I forgot my fear and had a lot of fun. In the end, Jason, Miles, Aliyah, MacKenzie, River and I broke the chain of the group and almost got lost! Thankfully, Orca came to the rescue. The most interesting thing was learning the stories of the constellations.

4. gabriellag6 says:

I learned many things in my journal. The most interesting things that I learned was that the chumash people ate acorns with everything and that they lived along the California coast between Malibu and San Luis Obispo for thousands of years. That personally is very interesting to me.

5. rubyk6 says:

I think animal are important because their food chain helps plants grow, and plants help us breath. On the animal hike I learned about how to tell if an animal is a herbivore, omnivore , or carnivore by looking at it scat. I thought the animal hike was the most fun and interesting because I’ve always liked animals ,and I just wanted to learn more about them. WHen i about the animals that lived in these areas I was excited to share what I learned with my friends. I hope everyone gets a chance to aout all interesting animals ,their homes ,and their traits.

6. Nick says:

Every culture noticed pictures in the stars and invented stories for people to hear generations later.
    Scorpion Women tricked you into a conversation so she can sting you and if you are in the dark with no flash lights your eyes will adjust after a while.
    Otter our naturalist had a laser pointer to show all the constellations in a cool way.
    That was a very fun hike and I hope they keep it for in the future kids can have the experience I had.

7. mathewm6 says:

I thought the night hike was really cool because I learned a lot. I learned about the constellations and animals on the night hike. One group of stars are a constellations that the Japanese called Subaru. It’s real name is Pleiades. I also learned that the musk rat can see in the dark. It sleeps in the day. Also on the hike I really liked Orca’s laser pointer. Another thing was that River and I both got freaked out when we heard something in the bushes. We thought it was coming towards us! The night hike was the best hike. At the end we were all laughing and talking about it.

8. Osa Omozore says:

The most interesting things I put into my journal is the information I learned like from the tea hike I learned the it takes at least 50 whole year for lace liken to grow an inch and that black willow helps heal headaches. From the night hike the story of the 7 sisters and from the geology hike all about the different kind of rock and how they are formed.

• caiya says:

Those were great choices Osa! I think the Lace Liken and the Tea was good, don’t you think? But, I think we were only supposed to tell about one. I loved laying next to you and Serene when we were on the Night Hike together, looking up at the stars…

9. Zion Lopez says:

Plants helped people when they were sick and some of the plants helped with stuffy noses. When we tried the plant that helpers with stuffy noses, it helped me and the other classmates a lot. I believe that the plants are very helpful. But, if they didn’t have them, they would die of sickness. I hope in the future, that everyone would use the plants when their sick.

10. simonec6 says:

The nike hike was educational and fun at the same time. Constellations are stars that look like picture. Cultures from all around the world saw pictures formed by the stars. Rain, the hike leader showed us some constellations. For example he showed us the Big Dipper and that the North Star was part of the handle. My favorite part of the hike was when Rain broke a glow stick and sprayed our clothes.In the end all the people from my cabin came back happy from their hiking goups.

• caiya says:

That’s true, I do think it was a glow stick. But, I really loved everything, especially the courage walk. The constellation were beautiful. Did you get to hear the story of the seven sisters?

11. chrism6 says:

The Chumash Hike was interesting snd filled my head with knowledge.
    What was interesting about the Chumash was how they would dry their clothes and how they would hunt for animals and how they would make their weapons. They would dry their clothes by putting their their clothes in a basket and putt rocks in the fire and wait. They would take out the rocks, then they would putt them in a lake and putt the basket on top to dry. They would hunt for animals by using bows and arrows. How they would make the weapons is first they would sharpen rocks by scratching them together to be very sharp. Then they would tie them to a stick to make an arrow. To make a bow they would get a branch thats bendeble so then they can tie a string at both ends to make a bow. I think that the Chumash were very well equiped with food and weapons and all of the clothes. Also the Chumash were very strong they would hunt good and are very smart. I hope in the future that if we were stranded in the wilderness we would use the same ways as the Chumash did to survive.

• caiya says:

That is a good point, Chris. The Chumash were smart. I am glad we learned so many cool things to survive in the wilderness. Good choice!

12. Khedhar Quintero says:

Constilations are cool and have been helpful to many cultures. We learned to be courageous and not to be scared of the dark. I thought it was cool when Sycamore (naturalist) took out his laser astronomy laser pointer and showed us the constilations with it. I hope that when other children go on the night hike they will be amazed by the cool constilations.

13. Aliyah says:

The night hike was amazing and it was the hike I learned the most on. One thing I learned was on the night hike it takes 45 min for your rods to turn on so you can see at night. Another thing is the min you see light your cone cells turn on. The most existing part was doing the courage walk. The courage walk is a walk were you walk along for 45 seconds and wait at the end for the other people to make their way down. I am very luck to learn all this fun interesting things.

14. Serene Godina says:

Night Hike
    The night hike was amazing not only because I learned a lot but because it was exciting.We had to do the courage walk to build up our courage to walk alone in the dark to the rest of the group.I liked the night hike because we got to laydown or sit down on the ground and look up at the stars. We heard a few stories from Leo (the lion). I disliked the courage walk because i felt like at one point I would fall off a cliff. I loved how at the end the last thing we did was stand in a circle and she told us another story but this time we had to cover our eyes and when she told us to open them we were glowing with star dust. By going on the night hike I learned not to be afarid to walk alone in the dark and to trust my instincts two lessons that will help me forever.

15. jasonb6 says:

​My favorite hike that I learned the most from was the night hike. It taught me that animals and humans have cones and rods in our eyes. That rods see lots of light and colors and that cones see some light and no color. I liked the way Orca made this one of my favorite hikes. I now know to look at the ground more so I can see what is on the floor so that I do trip over anything. The stars were really cool and I will remember them for a long time.

16. Roslyn says:

My favorite hike was the plant hike. During the plant hike we saw cool plants in different places like the Woodlands. When we were on the plant hikei learned a lot of interesting things. Plants can help you when your sick they can help you’d headaches and stomach pains. I thought this hike was very fun. I learned lots of fun facts. My favorite part was when we all sat down for a tea party. We had lots of different types of plants in the tea.

17. liliannar6 says:

The stars and constellations are beautiful, but, also very helpful. When Sycamore took us on our night hike he taught us a lot. Sycamore told us the stars are very useful. Like when we’re lost we can search for the North Star; because it helps with directions. I like the stars. They’re very mysterious and beautiful. I love the that no one really knows history of the stars because you can use your imagination to make stories. But, no one actually knows the truth. The stars are just so gorgeous. They shine in the darkness of the sky. They bring out the light in the world when it’s dark at night. They really are a sight to see.

18. caiya says:

The Outdoor School Night Hike
    The Night Hike was a great experience and helped me see the night and the dark in was I couldn’t even imagine until I experienced it.
    I learned that rods help your night vision and cones help you see color. We are so used to see in the light that we can’t see colors in the dark. Shooting stars fly by in Light-Years and are visible because they skim Earth’s atmosphere.
    My nature name was Shooting Star, because they are so amazing and beautiful. I LOVED the star dust at the end, it felt so Magical. It was so cool using and upgrading all my senses, like cupping my ears to be ably to hear from long distances and using my night vision to see in the dark.
    The Night Hike is one of the best experiences at Outdoor School, and I will NEVER forget it.

19. avarae says:

Even though I came late to the Outdoor School, I still got to fill out some things in my journal. My experience at the Outdoor School was amazing. On the night hike, I learned about how bats use noises to sense where their going at night. A bat could fly about as close as a centimeter away from your face without hitting you! I believe the Naturalists did a very nice job with planing everything out perfectly so that the kids could have a super fun time at the Outdoor School. I learned about a lot of interesting thing at the Outdoor School. Honestly, there were so many I had to choose from to write about!

20. Karen says:

On the night hike I learned with my group.
    Every culture, hunting group, or just plain group of people would see some kind of constilation in the sky. Other people wouldn’t though but it’s ok if you don’t find one the second you look up at the stars but you will probably see one later on. My group had mountain goat as out naturalist. A naturalist is a person who works at the outdoor school. Ok now back to the hike on our hike we saw the bid dipper and the Little Dipper. We also saw five shooting stars, it was really cool ! It needed up being a meteor shower. Personally the reson I loved this hike so much is because I was there with some of my best friends. At the outdoor school I had such a great time because all of my friends were there with me. It wouldn’t have been the same without them. One of my favorite moments there was on the night hike me, Jesse, Roslyn, george, and Bahar were all able to just lay down and look up at the stars.

21. Mikaila says:

Journaling helps us remember things useful for the future. The things that we learned at Outdoor School were exiting and some of those things are the Plant hike and how plants need sun,soil,cardon dioxide, and water.The other exiting thing is the Geology Hike because of how fossils are formed over Thousands of years.The reason these hikes were so amazing was because I learned things I didn’t know before like about the fossils. The other fun hike was the Animal Hike because we saw scat and learned how to walk so quiet even big animals couldn’t hear us. I loved everything these hikes had to offer for us students and I loved learning what animal was which because of the scat.

22. MacKenzie says:

The most interesting thing I learned at Outdoor School was that humans have night vision. You can acctually see well.

23. griffinj6 says:

I don’t really know. It was all really fun and everyone is going to do the night hike on this but I would say the plant hike was good enough for me. It was full of funny stuff, we even did rock-hopping! And I especially liked how there was types of plants that healed or cured some of your wounds or illnesses. But most of all I just liked to be outside and exploring the world or in this case, the outdoor school. But better yet, this actually was educational! Ha! Can you belive it? It was so much fun but that just makes it even cooler. The little journals we got, well, when I got it and had to do the activity I filled the plant hike one out like that! Oh great now I’m sad that we aren’t there anymore… But when I got there I was so happy and excited!!!πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ Excuse my emotes. There are so many things I want to talk, or type, that I can’t take it! Oh anyway it was so awesome there and I want to thank Mrs. Spiegelman so much. Oh wait I can! Thank you!!!

• caiya says:

I love all the plats and being outside, too! I really enjoy school, and I want to work at Outdoor School when I’m older. It was hard for me to choose to. I loved all of the activities.

24. Randy says:

I thought it was pretty important that we did the night hike, because we learned about constellations, courage, and senses. I learned more constellations and the North Star than before we wen’t to Outdoor School, such as: Pegasus, Playetes, and more. I am glad we took the courage walk because we learned to trust ourselves and using our senses to trust and to see were the path is. My favorite part of the hike was when we played the games: Mouse and Owl, the colors on your hand, and the senses game. And I learned about Nocturnal and Dieturnal animals.

25. alexis says:

When I was at outdoor school I went on the Chumash hike and learned a lot about the Chumash culture and I’ve discovered a lot of differences and similarities about my culture and the Chumash culture.Chumash Indians have lived along the California coast between Malibu and San Luis obispo for thousands of years.The Chumash Indians had similar food to animals throughout nature, the Chumash Indians had eaten acorns,seeds,berries,bark,bulbs,leaves,mule deer,bear rabbit,seals,abalone,clams,and fish.Well that was their food but they also use some of their animals for clothing,tools,medicine,and shelter:For example the bears were used for their fur they would make clothing out of the animals fur and sometimes they would decorate their aps (huts) which is like a house.Their activities were canoeing which they called TOMOLS they also used that for hunting down animals.See their culture is way different then ares because now we have technology and more advantages.Well I think that it’s kind of cool they get to make a lot of supplies so their kind of like engineers,but at the same time I think that they didn’t have mattress that are cozy or they didn’t have food places like:Mc Donald’s,Carl’s’ jr.,Panda express,Jack in the box,and yogurt land so we have our differences but I kind of think that we have fur or fake animal fur on our clothing and we also decorate our house with nature like flowers they had flowers back then also those are some similar ways they connect with us.Some ways about the Chumash culture is because people show us in the museums to show us there are difference cultures then ours that don’t have what we have.I think its great their are different cultures then mine and museums show us different life periods throughout history.It was great learning about different cultures.

26. jesse6b says:

my favorite hike was the night hike. It was fun mountain goat led us he told us about the solar system how was the from. It was form with gas, rock, and liquid.the earth has three lawyers:the crust, mantle ,and the core. Each one is important. The crust is where there’s grass for plants and water for humans. the mantle contains solid and molten rock called magma, the core is divided into two layers. the outer is liquid and the inner core which is solid. the night hike was fun , and awesome.I liked the courage walk , as I had space to myself. I would like to learn more space and will continue to learn more about the universe.

27. MacKenzie says:

Night and darkness, stars and comments, wood rats and skunks, and the courage walk. All this is otherwise known as the Night Hike. In this hike we learned that like animals humans have night vision in our eyes called rods. During the hike my friends Alana, Aliyah, Hunter, Miles, Randy’s dad, and I got lost and we were in total darkness. We found our way back to camp. I love this hike and I think it was one of the best.