RSS Feed

Garden of Grace

43

October 2, 2013 by Mrs. Spiegelman

Today, we were able to be of service to our school by helping Mrs. McClure and Mr. Keyes with the work of harvesting the new crop and starting some construction.

Rebecca caught us in action.

RebeccaGardenWork

You can see more by checking out this flickr set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104059317@N03/sets/72157636134889305/

As Osa put it, today was the “Best Day Ever”. Take a close look at her worm farm:

OsaWormFarm

Matthew R. took a picture of the fountain in the middle of the garden because it looks amazing!

MatthewRFountain

According to Caiya:

The flowers and fountain are lovely,
And I feel like I am there again. 
It’s beautiful.

CaiyaFountain

Alana’s perspective on the day:

The garden filled with all of my classmates. I was filled with excitement! Today we were helping in the Garden of Grace.

I picked tomatoes with Karen and found worms with Roslyn. I also helped Gaby with picking up lumber and putting it near the flower beds. I had fun!

MacKenzieHardWork

Zion’s “babies” a.k.a bell peppers! They’re all named Steven. (pictured below)

Zion and Babies

Alana takes Jesse and Randy

Jesse and Randy picking fresh tomatoes

Matthew R. had this to share:

This is a picture of all the plants I harvested. The little green tomatoes are the babies of my tomato plant Bobby.

MatthewRHarvest

The best thing that happened to MacKenzie in the garden is when her and Chris.O were fighting over an eggplant.

Matthew with a big squash. His name is Bob.

Matthew and Bob

According to Lily:

I loved working in the garden! A very memorable moment in the garden was when Nick asked Osa to give him a worm to hold. Then, Nick was screaming and running away from the worm. But, it was so wonderful to see that all the plants our class planted last year, turned into something so beautiful. I could not believe my eyes when I saw these flowers.

LillyFlowers

Simone entitled this photo: Glow Yo

SimoneFlower

We’ll leave you with this short film made by Chris M. We’re looking forward to many more days working in the beautiful garden!

My Perspective

43 comments »

1. rebecca32 says:

It was one of the best days ever! I was so happy to see the whole class work together and help take care of our wonderful garden.

• Matthew says:

I Ioved harvesting all the plants.It was so much fun😃😃😃😃

• Mrs. Spiegelman says:

I agree, Rebecca! It was wonderful to see how our community’s hard work transformed this space into something more beautiful than I ever imagined!

2. Caiya says:

I loved being in the garden. I want to go back sometime. Not only alone or after school, but our whole class. It’s awesome being out side and eating school-grown fruits and veggies. I love gardening unlike my mom who kills plants in about a week. The tomatoes are good!
    See you,
    Caiya

• Mrs. Spiegelman says:

Caiya, I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one without a green thumb at the school! I am also very excited to visit the garden again. Soon we’ll be doing an activity with Pre-K! They need some help working in the garden, and 6th grade has been so responsible in the garden we were asked to assist! Isn’t that wonderful?

• Simone says:

It is wonderful I Loved the garden and Can’t wait to go back. I would really like helping the Pre-K
        when are we going back? I’d Love to know!

• Mrs. Spiegelman says:

Simone, I am so excited to hear that you want to share your enthusiasm with Pre-K! Mrs. Irvine, Mrs. McClure and I are working on a date and we’ll let you know as soon as we figure it out!

• Griffin J. says:

Yeah. When are we going to go back? I thought it was really fun! I felt at home in the garden doing manly stuff instead of boring inside games. Yet Video games are still more fun. But still it beats doing nothing all cooped up inside. It makes me feel like I’m going to get the virus.

PS: Only Christian, Jack and a few other people know what ( The Virus ) is.

3. Mrs. McClure says:

I LOVE THE 6TH GRADE CLASS! I am overwhelmed with joy reading this blog and seeing the fantastic pictures! You 6th graders were so respectful and reverant during our time in our Garden of Grace. I was so impressed with how you all leveraged your time in a different way in this special place. Your inspiration inspires ME!!! I can’t wait to be out there with you again soon – and with the TK class, too!

4. Simone says:

I really liked the Garden. Everything was so beautiful, every once in a while I like to get my hands dirty and help out!

5. Christopher o says:

I love gardening it’s one of my favorite things to do! Unlike some people (step-mom) she kills them under 2 days! Wow I know right but after school some times I like to sit in the garden and cloud watch. You should try cloud watching its fun and funny what your imagination can do. My hobbies for the garden is picking fresh veggies. Sorry if this is getting long I hoped you like my view of the garden.

• Karen says:

Chris I agree I love gardening and I garden at my grandmas and she kills them to so don’t feel bad and it is pretty cool what your imagination can do!

6. Karen says:

I love the new and improved garden it is so beautiful, and I am so proud of Mrs. McClure and everyone who helped her make the garden how it is now.I hope that whatever we want to achive in the garden will be done, and done right now i would like to thank Mrs. McClure, and her wonderful gardening skills.

7. Jesse says:

Going to the garden was the best i had so much fun. Because we get to pick vegetables and take them home. lets give a shout out to MRS. MCCLURE

8. Rebecca says:

I realy think that planting is fun when you could actualy do something not just stand and take pictures
    but you could think something else because that is an opinion. When I think of gardening I like to do it alone so I won’t get yelled at about what I am doing. Every time I garden I like to make it fun my own way so I could be interested in gardening. I love planting roses and naming them nd then when they grow I like to put them in a book that I don’t usualy read and then I later open it and ther I have a old rose that formed like a book mark and I like to laminate the flower so I could keep it forever!

9. Becca says:

Thank you Mrs.McClure for letting help in the garden. It was so fun!

10. Karen says:

WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH MRS.MCCLURE !
    I love working in the garden i always have a great time helping you out !!!! Thank you for all your hard work the garden looks great !!!

11. Karen says:

The garden looks great and it is so much fun helping out in the garden thank you to Mrs.McClure for all her hard work!!!!

12. Bahar says:

It was such a great day with my friends in our school garden. I love gardening and I love to plant tomatoes. I can’t wait for another beautiful day in the garden with my friends!

13. Matthew Rives says:

I heard about us going to the garden with TK.When we do, I will do what I can to help them with the garden since we did such a great job.

14. Ava L. says:

I had so much fun in the garden! I really loved digging up worms and picking the fruits and vegitables! I can’t wait to take our buddies to the garden too.

15. Becca says:

It was a fun day and I loved seeing the whole class work together. I took a lot of great pictures of everything. I can’t wait to work in the garden again. The best part of the day was seeing Osa chase nick with worm(ewwwww).

16. Randy says:

I thought it was really happy to see the Garden of Grace and my pepper but… ! OSCAR DIED! My sweet pepper! But at least I got to see the Garden of Grace.

17. MacKenzie says:

Wow. I just realized what a great job our class does in the garden! We should go more often and pick some more.

18. Griffin J. says:

When I was in the garden, everything started making sense. I felt really good churning up all that dirt and picking up all the worms bare-handed, while others didn’t! Everyone thought I was crazy. So anyway I had a really good time. So good. And funny.

19. Christian says:

It felt good to carry some big wood planks, also, I got some pictures of everybody working in the garden!

20. mathewm6 says:

It was fun carrying lumber in the Garden of Grace. It was amazing to work in the dirt and play with worms. It was amazing seeing everyone working together in the garden. It looks amazing.

21. mikailad6 says:

Thank you so much for giving us this awesome opportunity to find our inner green thumb its was so much fun i for one enjoyed it. Thank you and we love you Mrs.MCclure!!!

22. liliannar6 says:

I love the garden. Working in the garden was so much fun. I hope we go back with the TK class and plant something. It will be so much fun to work with them.

23. zionl6 says:

I loved working at the garden, it’s so fun just to pick vegetables and get dirty.

24. nicko6 says:

It was such a fun day but a scary one too. Those worms were disgusting but cool but again disgusting! But I was happy to see the class working in the Garden of Grace.

25. jackf6 says:

I thought the garden was awesome and the plants we planted last year were fully grown.but the problem was that some of the plants were dying. I picked out some fruit and vegetables to bring back home. I that the garden was awesome.

26. Serene Godina says:

I loved working in The Garden of Grace. Today we were in the Garden of Grace and we had a pre-k student with us her name was Mia. Mia is so cute and so nice and I can’t wait to see her again. Thank you so much for bringing us into the garden.

27. chrism6 says:

I had a very fun time there carrying the wood planks and taking pictures of awesome fruit and vegetables and making IMovies out of them. I had a great time with the classmates and Mrs. McClure and Mr. Keyes. I would like to help in the Garden of Grace again.

28. alexism6 says:

Do you want to no what I think of the garden? Well first lets start off with the beautiful and colorful flowers , the flowers smell like cherry and pumpkins and there fully grown and its thin . I think it’s wonderful how my own classmates and other fellow kids In OLG actually grew the wonderful plants,fruits, and flowers that they have grown so now when it’s ripe enough we can eat it.I also admire that they let all the insects stay and eat the leaves for example the worms. It was also so spectacular that I had the chance to have the same experiences as the other old OLG kids because I had dug the dirt and rolled it until it wasn’t still.I had a blast and took model pictures of the insects and I .It was a great experience and I hope I ca go bak in the garden and help it look amazing, By the way I love the pictures you posted Ms.spiegelman

29. Jason says:

I liked digging in the dirt and finding worms with my friends.

30. khedharq6 says:

I remember that day it was fun I found a lot of worms.

31. Ruby says:

Personaly working in the garden was the best and funnest learning experience i have ever had. Working with my friends and making our garden greener was wonderful especialy Osa’s worm farm, i caught 50% of the worms!