RSS Feed

Image vs. Reality

6

September 13, 2013 by Mrs. Spiegelman

In class, we discussed the different reactions characters had after first meeting Auggie, and talked about how different Auggie’s personality was than the first impression people had when they met him 

We discussed other characters in the book. Julian was handsome and a good athlete. He was also respectful to adults, which is why Mr. Tushman chose him as one of the students to meet Auggie before school started, and to give Auggie a tour of the campus. When we get to know Julian, his actions show that he is also very different than the first impression many people get of him. He is a bully, and was very mean to Auggie. 

Summer, on the other hand, was beautiful inside and out. 

We watched a TED Talk in class about the difference between Image and Reality. Then students filled out anonymous notecards. On one side, they listed what they think others see when they look at them. On the other, they listed the things that people CAN’T see. I compiled the classes responses in a WordCloud. The words that are bigger are ones that many people in the class listed. The smaller words were only listed by one or two students. 

Here are the results. 

Sixth grade girls answered the questions: “How do you think other people see you? If they were to look at a picture of you, or walk into a room and see you, what words would come to mind?”

Sixth grade boys answered the questions: “How do you think other people see you? If they were to look at a picture of you, or walk into a room and see you, what words would come to mind?”

The answer when both are combined: “How do you think other people see you? If they were to look at a picture of you, or walk into a room and see you, what words would come to mind?”

7th grade girls answered the questions: “How do you think other people see you? If they were to look at a picture of you, or walk into a room and see you, what words would come to mind?”

7th grade boys answered the questions: “How do you think other people see you? If they were to look at a picture of you, or walk into a room and see you, what words would come to mind?”

The answer when all 7th graders are combined: “How do you think other people see you? If they were to look at a picture of you, or walk into a room and see you, what words would come to mind?”

6 comments »

1. Caiya C. says:

Mrs. Spiegelman, did you put anything you think you are on the inside and out. I think you are awesome, funny, a great teacher, superb, pretty, gorgeous, beautiful, smart, and supercalifragilisticexpealatrocious! If I forgot forgot nice things you think Mrs. Spiegelman is, please comment!

• Mrs. Spiegelman says:

Caiya, you are so sweet! No, I didn’t add mine. I think it would be interesting if I did this activity with the teachers and posted the outcome. What do you think?

2. Karen says:

Mrs.speigelman I read your last post, and I think that would be a great idea.
    And I was so happy that the sixth grade was so open to you.

3. MacKenzie says:

I loved that the six grade told things that they were thinking about themselves.

4. Griffin J. says:

The images girls had about them were so… Self conscious about themselves unlike guys, we don’t really care how we look, unless its embarrassing of course. I guess different genders really don’t understand each other.

• Karen says:

I think you are right girls think more how does my hair look or my shoes, but with guys its where is my football or ” sup girl ” and maybe it’s not cause well I’m not a guy so… I don’t really know. But the thing That I liked is for the guys the biggest thing was handsome, and for the girls it was beautiful so not everyone feels bad, or things bad about themselves.